Surrey RCMP is informing the public that charges have been laid against a 25-year-old man in relation to a number of alleged sexual offences involving minors, and are seeking any additional witnesses to come forward.
On December 17, 2021, the BC Prosecution Services approved 14 charges against Paul Atanassov, stemming from an investigation launched by the Surrey RCMP in the summer of 2021. Charges include: sexual assault, possession of child pornography, making or publishing child pornography, telecommunication to lure a child under 16, inviting counselling or inciting person under 16 to touch any person, sexual interference of person under 16, and breach of undertaking.
Paul Atanassov was released by the courts on strict conditions which include:
- A curfew of 9 pm to 6 am every day. He can only leave his residence with prior permission from his bail supervisor during this time frame.
- He is not to attend any public park, public swimming area, community center or theatre where person under the age of 16 years are present.
- He must not have any contact, direct or indirect, or be in the presence of any person under the age of 16 years. He must not enter into or continue any dating relationship, or marriage, or common-law relationship with any person who has children under the age of 16 years or who has the care or access to children under that age, until the bail supervisor has informed that person of this order.
- He must not possess any device capable of accessing any computer network including the internet.
- He must not possess or use any mobile communication device.
- He must not distribute, publish, post or make publicly available in any way, information including comments and images with respect to any person.
- He must not access directly or indirectly or maintain any personal profile on any social media sites, social networks, internet discussions, forums or chatrooms.
Police believe that there may be further witnesses in the community with information that may assist in these investigations. As a result, police are releasing Paul Atanassov’s photo and are asking anyone with information or witness Atanassov breaching any of the conditions of his release to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502.
“This investigation is led by our Surrey RCMP Internet Child Exploitation (ICE) Unit,” says Constable Sarbjit Sangha, Media Relations Officer for Surrey RCMP. “This team of specially trained investigators is dedicated to protecting children from harm and pursuing those who access, distribute and manufacture child sexual exploitation material.”