Chandigarh: A large quantity of explosives has been recovered from the five accused arrested in connection with three blasts near Golden Temple in past one week.

The arrested accused have been identified as Azad Veer Singh, resident of Wadala Kala Baba Bakala; Amrik Singh, resident of Gurdaspur; Sahab Singh, resident of Gate Hakima Angarh in Amritsar; Dharmendra and Harjeet, resident of 88 Feet Road in Amritsar. Amrik’s wife is also being questioned in this case.

Azadveer Singh and Amrik Singh, along with three others, had prepared the IED by mixing sulphur between chloride and bromites. Sahib Singh has a licence to manufacture firecrackers. Saba gave the explosives to accused Harjeet Singh, who was later passed on to Azadveer Singh, police said.

Amrik Singh and Azadveer Singh are the main accused in the bomb blasts case, the DGP Gaurav Yadav said. At the same time, Amrik Singh’s wife is also being detained and her role is being investigated.

Both of them carried out the blasts after being angry over the imposition of NSA on Amritpal Singh, the head of the Waris Punjab De organization. Amritpal Singh was arrested by the police on April 23. After that Azadbir planned these blasts. The series of blasts began on May 5, 12 days after Amritpal’s arrest, police said.

Police have seized about 1 kg 100 grams of explosive from Azadveer Singh. Appreciating the role of the SGPC task force and the SGPC chairman in these arrests, the DGP said that during the CCTV surveillance of the SGPC, the police had found many important evidences.

He said that the police also got important clues from the mobile dump picked up from Heritage Street. After examining the technical aspects, the presence of these five accused was revealed.

The first IED was assembled at Sri Guru Ramdas Sarai. The explosive was packed in two containers of energy drinks and a tiffin. This bomb was prepared from about 200 grams of explosives, which are used in making firecrackers.

It was hung from a thick thread near the parking lot building of Heritage Street. The blast took place on the night of May 6.

They then assembled the second bomb, in the bathroom of Sri Guru Ramdas Sarai, by adding metallic bowls. It was also hung from a thread near the parking lot located in Heritage Street, which was pulled by someone, causing an explosion. While the third blast was done by them at 12.10 am on May 10.

Leave a Reply