Ontario: Ontario government is offering all individuals 18 and over, beginning with the most vulnerable populations, a new bivalent COVID-19 booster dose from September 26 and they can book the booster dose on Monday, the province says.
The vaccine appointment slots are open for everyone from 8 am and vulnerable people including residents of long-term care homes, retirement homes and Elder Care Lodges, will be given a priority until September 26 before Health authorities widen the vaccine to all residents 18 and older, officials said.
According to the information, Pregnant individuals aged 18 and older and Health-care workers aged 18 and older are eligible to get shot on priority of this vaccine.
The Ford government said the move has been taken with guidelines provided by Health Canada and the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI).
Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr Kieran Moore said, “We are encouraging everyone that all adults should get a new booster shot. This shot targets the Omicron variant.”
Dr. Moore said that this bivalent Covid-19 booster is safe and effective and fully protects against this new COVID-19 variant.
Health Canada approved Moderna’s updated vaccine earlier this month and first shipment of this vaccine arrived in Ontario last week.