Patna: In yet another case, poisonous liquor has wreaked havoc and claimed lives of at least 20 people in Chhapra, Bihar on Wednesday. Initially, the number of dead was 6, which has now increased to 20 and some people are still undergoing treatment.
Five people died on the spot after drinking liquor in the village, while the rest died later. About two dozen people are admitted to the hospital, police said.
There is complete ban in Bihar and the sale and consumption of liquor is illegal.
Those who died due to drinking poisonous liquor were identified as Vijendra Rai, Harendra Ram, Ramji Sah, Amit Ranjan, Sanjay Singh, Kunal Singh, Ajay Giri, Mukesh Sharma, Bharat Ram, Jaidev Singh, Manoj Ram, Mangal Rai, Nasir Hussain, Ramesh Ram, ChandraMa Ram, Vicky Mahto and Govind Rai.
After getting information about the incident, there was a panic in the village and locals held protest against the district administration.
Police said that a young man named Amit died during treatment at Chhapra Sadar Hospital. After getting information about Amit Ranjan’s death, the district police force reached Chhapra Sadar Hospital.
After this, the police took his body in their possession. According to the police, the post-mortem of the body will be done so that the cause of death can be ascertained.
Police said that investigation is underway and accused will be nabbed soon.