Chandigarh: The preliminary investigation by NDRF revealed that 11 people died due to hydrogen sulfide (H2S) after gas leak tragedy in Ludhiana’s Giaspura locality on Sunday.

Officials said that when they reached Giaspura yesterday, the level of this gas in the air was above 200. This gas was spreads through manholes.

After this, caustic soda was added to the sewerage line by the local authorities, the effect of the gas was reduced. Now the situation is under control.

Officials said that how the gas was formed is being investigated. The gas leak was revealed by samples taken from sewerage. When the forensic team took sewerage samples and sent them to Kharar Chemical Lab, it was clear that there were traces of H2S in the sewerage.

Hydrogen sulfide gas is so dangerous that once inhaled, it is absorbed by the lungs. It can also lead to cardiac arrest or death as it affects neurological and cardiac tissue. This causes irritation in the eyes. At the same time, there is no taste on the tongue for a long time.

Medical board is investigating

Doctors said that the lungs of those who died are fine. This gas had an effect on their brain, which led to their died. Post-mortem was conducted on the deceased by the medical board. Their blood samples have also been taken. According to doctors, people who were close to high levels of H2S died, while those were at some distance survived and undergoing treatment.

Leave a Reply